Friday, August 6, 2010

Mas viajes y adventuras!

Well once again, I have neglected this poor little blog and now I have much to tell again! Where to start.

Last weekend:
Last Friday was a fun day even though it was pouring rain! Because of my Mexican food withdrawals here I decided for our group that we were going to go have some Mexican food. I searched online and came across a place called Fabrica del Taco. Apparently it was made by Mexicans who created it in Argentina to share the greatness of Mexican food. So we had to try this place out. It was actually really good and it definitely got the job done. I was able to enjoy some carne asada tacos and a coke! A great meal in my eyes! After this place we were off to an art museum called MALBA (Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires). This place was really cool to explore and it has 3 levels. My roommate Julie and I also had the opportunity to watch the movie, Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens) with our host brother Pablo. The movie is a really famous Argentine movie which shows some of the common robbing tactics here in the city. The movie was really good!

Sunday
Today I went to a Catholic church that my host mom had recommended that was really close to my house with another friend of mine. The church is beautiful, like most of the churches here, but I couldn't believe I was going to mass in this church. Mass here is for the most part the same here besides when you say "peace be with you" they give a beso (kiss) on the cheek instead of a handshake. I liked this church a lot and afterwards there's a little market outside of the church. After church, my friend and I ended up going to the San Telmo Market which is a really famous market here. This market is huge and really festive. It includes an indoor portion as well as covers a probably about 5 or 6 blocks. You can find anything at this market, including street performers and entertainment of all kinds. There's food, clothes, mate gourds, paintings, etc. This place was really fun and I definitely want to go back! It's open every Sunday and definitely a place to be. It took some time for us to walk the whole market and I'm not even sure we walked the whole thing because it goes on forever and it's on an open street which makes it even better. Sometimes a car will try and go through the streets where things are being sold and I don't know if they ever make it through because there's so many people. This was the day that I also tried Volta for the first time. Volta is a heladeria (ice cream place) really close to my house. This place is to die for. Really cool environment and really good ice cream so you can't go wrong.

This week- the third week and 2nd week of classes:
This week was pretty low key as it was just school. I only have class Monday through Thursday, so it's a pretty nice schedule giving me a 3 day weekend every weekend! I'm taking 3 of my classes in Spanish and 1 in English, so it is a little extra challenge to be taking so many classes in Spanish but it's what I need if I want to be completely fluent by the time I leave here!

picture to be added soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment